Carvell Bio | Firm Expertise
Christopher Carvell, AIA
Design Principal at Christopher Carvell Architects PC
Christopher Carvell Architects PC was founded in Denver by Christopher Carvell, AIA in 1995. Mr. Carvell and his Senior Associates have guided programming, master planning, and the design of numerous critical efforts for private investor/developers, corporate end users, municipal/governmental and academic clients throughout the Rocky Mountain West and Nationwide. CCA’s portfolio includes high profile market rate/mixed use housing and affordable LIHTC Housing, Carvell Architects’ association with the nation’s most prestigious public-private partnership (P3) student housing developers dates back to 2001.
Christopher Carvell Architects’ commissions have involved every aspect of the built environment. Major projects fall into six categories: programming and master planning; new building design; historic preservation and adaptive re-use; interior design; space planning; and urban design.
The firms market sector strengths include:
- Corporate and workplace environments
- Adaptive re-use of historic Denver midtown, LoDo (lower downtown), RiNo (River North), 1920’s-1960’s vintage structures converted into micro lofts and open office environments
- Market rate mid-rise and high-rise residential buildings
- Affordable LIHTC mixed income housing with support services
- Municipal – conference , community and recreation centers
- Higher Education facilities with significant multi-use project experience in:
- Health Sciences
- Teaching and research laboratories and incubator buildings
- Engineering/computer science buildings
- Classroom and administration buildings
- Registrar and student success facilities
- Student recreation, HPER / Athletic – intercollegiate sports
- Student unions and conference and multi-use venues
- Dining halls
- Student Housing / mixed use and academic live-learn communities
Since 1988, Colleges and Universities represent a significant component of Mr. Carvell’s experience, with over 40 projects completed on 23 campuses (as design principal for Fentress, Page and Christopher Carvell Architects) . Highlights include 12 individual building projects for the Colorado State and University of Colorado Systems. In addition Mr. Carvell has developed a nationally recognized expertise in the design of “Next Generation” student life facilities. They encompass: student union and event venue facilities, dining halls, athletic/recreation centers and mixed use hybrid housing for freshman, upper class, and graduate students. CCA has also developed a growing practice in urban mixed use, market rate and affordable housing projects which have received local and regional design awards. Today, Christopher Carvell Architects fosters a “Hands-On Architectural Studio Approach”. This allows Mr. Carvell and key staff to focus on the day to day design and financial challenges deeply embedded in each project’s unique solution. Creative problem solving is the highest priority for the design team- collaborating with the clients key stakeholders via on-site workshop presentations.
Recent corporate history: Principal Designer at Fentress Architects 1988-1995, Design Principal at Christopher Carvell Architects 1995-2008, Principal/Design Director for Page 2008-2014, Design Principal at Christopher Carvell Architects 2014-present. Mr. Carvell received his Bachelor of Architecture Professional Degree from the University of Kentucky School of Architecture and Planning and has pursued Executive Education Credits at The Graduate School of Design; Harvard University.
Based on his extensive work in public-private partnerships, Mr. Carvell has presented at National and Regional conferences on how Destination Mixed Use Facilities are impacting The Student Housing Space. Mr. Carvell regularly serves as a Guest Lecturer at Schools of Architecture and as a Juror for Industry Design Award Programs.